Tuesday, November 27, 2001

A Cottage and the Importance of Scarves

It's been awhile since I've written. I allowed myself to get backed up with tests to grade and papers to proofread, so I haven't really had time to write. Lately we've been working roughly 60-70 hours a week, by my calculations, so all our time is taken up with working and taking care of the basic necessities of life, such as showering, laundry, and eating.

We had a nice break last weekend because Friday was a free day for us. (We did teach on Thanksgiving, by the way, as well as throw a massive Thanksgiving party in the evening, for the benefit of our students) Due to the long weekend, all the teachers and several of the Czech youth from our church here rented a cottage in the mountains on the border with Poland.

Here in Prague there isn't any snow yet, but up there the snow was almost a foot deep when we arrived, and we received another 5-6 inches while we were there. It was a much-needed and very relaxing vacation. Some of Jerry's and my friends who are attending school in France drove all the way to the CR to visit us for the weekend (Cory and Jeff, for those of you who are interested in who they were). It was very nice to see them and spend some time with other Americans, besides the 9 others we see everyday.

We were able to do some (a very small amount of) sledding, and a few people went skiing on some small slopes they had in the town where we were. Mostly we just lounged around in the cottage and enjoyed the fact that we weren't teaching for the moment. I was thankful that I had bought all the winter gear that I stockpiled before coming over here, because I was completely comfortable in my down jacket and snowpants, while a few other folks froze their bums.

I've also been completely sold on the whole concept of scarves. I will never return to a state of failing to wear a scarf during outdoor moments lacking in temperature. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to discover this exciting phenomenon, but I'm extremely thankful that it exists and has been made known to me.

Anyway, that's what's been going on here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home