Friday, December 21, 2001

Christmas Party; Finals; Studying

A lot has happened in the past couple of weeks. Two weeks ago we had our Christmas party for the students on a Thursday night. There were around 50-60 who showed up. We had them go into different rooms for various activities. They sang Christmas carols in our chapel, and then went to another room for Christmas stories. Then we had a room for them to play musical chairs in, which they love. After all the festivities, the teachers did a short skit which was a very brief version of the Nativity. After that, the girls (teachers) sang "O Holy Night" accompanied by me on guitar. That was only the second time I had performed in front of people on guitar, so it was fun.

Last week was basically a preparation week for our final tests which were given all day on Thursday. After the tests were done, most of us spent the rest of the afternoon grading. Sissel left for the States early Thursday morning, so Marsha assumed responsibility for grading her 10 sets of tests, in addition to her own sets of tests. She was exhausted at the end of the day, so I helped her wrap it up, since I only had 5 sets to grade.

Happily we're now on vacation for the next week and a half. Hopefully I'll spend most of it studying Czech. I've only recently realized how enormous that task really is. When they say Czech is a difficult language, they mean it. Right now I've got a basic overview of the structure of the language, but the quantity of information that needs to be absorbed into my head now is mind-boggling. I've just got to choose a place and start memorizing. At least spelling isn't a problem in Czech like it is in English. The language is phonetic, so if you can hear a word, you should be able to write it. Anyway, I hope everyone has a good holiday vacation. I won't have email access from the end of today, December 22nd, to December 29th. They're closing the school to do some work on the floors. I'll probably go to an internet cafe to check my messages once or twice, but I won't be able to write for all of that time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home