Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Rooster, Wall, Clocktower, Storm - Lany (April 2004)


The Lord Chancellor reminded me of another story recently. I had either forgotten it or blocked it out of my memory. However, though I was not amused at the time of its occurence, there may be people, such as the Chancellor, who would appraise it with no small amount of mirth. Therefore, I'll relate it here so that the masses can again snigger at me in my misfortune.

There was a day when a certain frisbee was being utilized in a certain field in the suburbs of Prague. I believe it was a day early in the Year of Our Lord 2002. It was a cold, cloudy day, and the sky had an appearance much like you see in the above picture.

Though it was cold and cloudy, the winter was abating, and the residents of the area were out in force. These residents' dogs were also out in force, and were apparently happy to be able to romp about once again after a long, cold winter, as will be further expounded upon shortly.

Having claimed a distinct but out-of-the-way portion of the field for themselves, there were four frisbee flingers gathered in a typical frisbee-flinging circle. I was one of these frisbee flingers. I had carried my camera bag with me to the field and set it down out of our way. Due to the cold, I was initially wearing the same waterproof jacket that you can see in my photo at the top of the page. However, due to the body's tendency to increase metabolism during exercise, and subsequently give off heat as a byproduct of this boosted metabolism, I was compelled to remove my jacket and lay it carefully over my camera bag, waterproof shell to the outside.

It was lucky that I did so, because not long afterward a rather rude and inconsiderate dog proceeded to romp over to my belongings, sniff, and promptly do his business before I was able to take any physical or verbal prophylactic action. Again, I point out that I was not amused. The Chancellor, however, maintains that this is the most humorous event he witnessed while in Bohemia.

Well, after the dog had done his business, the owner, a middle-aged lady, rapidly approached me and apologized profusely for her dog. The dog, however, showed no signs of remorse.

I spent a good deal of time that evening rinsing the jacket off in a bathtub. I don't believe it suffered any permanent psychological damage, and I think, though there may be some who disagree, that my own psyche has recovered adequately as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger batool said...

lol...i'm glad to see you recovered so quickly but which one of you recovered first?

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger jerry said...

All I can say is that I don't believe any of the witnesses have quite recovered. I still laugh out loud thinking about it, especially your expression as you watched it all happen, helpless to stop it.

I believe you or I tried to hit the dog with the frisbee, but we weren't fast enough.

That was a good, good year.

Thursday, December 08, 2005  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

I think the jacket naturally recovered first. And, it was a good year.

Friday, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Turkey said...

The amazing thing about this story is that the people here in Prague take about as much consideration where they go the the bathroom as that dog. I was walking to work a couple weeks ago and I had to sidestep around a man who was peeing on the side of a busy road.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home