Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Chube - Joshua Tree National Park (December 2005)


This is the ever-exciting Viren on The Chube, a V3 problem with a moderately intimidating topout. Does it look intimidating to you?

Well, Southern California, being the vile place that it is, still has its perks. Mind you, it's the middle of January, and I complained yesterday morning about it being too hot for pants in the valley. Well, I then went bouldering in the afternoon, feeling extremely comfortable in shorts and with 2 to 3 inches of snow under my feet in the San Bernardino mountains. Where else is that sort of thing possible in January? I'm sure other places must exist - maybe on mars. Perhaps we can send an expedition to find out...

3 Comments:

Blogger Linz Organist said...

So, I think I might be ok with climbing up, but how does one descend?

Sunday, January 08, 2006  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

There's a walkoff on the back. Granted you do have to jump down about 5 feet, but it's relatively painless.

Sunday, January 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into a guy out there a couple weeks back, who, having successfully climbed the problem, was about to descend by jumping off the wrong side into a formidable yucca bush. Wishing to spare him the pain and suffering of inevitable impalement, I mentioned to them that the standard downclimb was on the back side of the boulder, and then showed him by walking around the back to point it out to him. He then proceeded to inch backwards down the extremely low angle slab slowly and painfully, with legs a'shaking and fingers and teeth a'clenching. Thankfully, he made it to the ground safely, and thanked me for showing him the downclimb. I was left bewildered at how someone could ascend a fairly gymnastic and formidable boulder problem, then quake on a near-sidewalk like downclimb.

Friday, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home