Thursday, January 05, 2006

Umbrella and Lamp - Prague (Summer 2003)


I guess it's about time for me to post another picture from Czech lands. I'll include a Czech tongue twister for you to chew on.

Vlk škvrzl mrkl mrdl smrt frkl cvrkl krkl plkl prdl vrkl zblbl.

And you thought "She sells seashells by the seashore" was tough. You'll notice that there are no vowels in that sentence. Czech is not usually as devoid of vowels as that, but it generally has considerably fewer than English.

This particular consonant-ridden sentence means, "A wolf froze to death - gulped a handful of grain."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A wolf froze to death - gulped a handful of grain" is "Vlk zmrzl, zhltl hrst zrn" in Czech. Alas, I have no idea "Vlk škvrzl mrkl mrdl smrt frkl cvrkl krkl plkl prdl vrkl zblbl" means.

Monday, December 04, 2006  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

Ah, thanks for that. I got two of them mixed up. I know what this one means too, but I can't remember the exact wording off my head. I'll ask a friend.

Monday, December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home