Monday, March 19, 2007

Boston Skyline - Boston, Massachusetts (February 2007)

This is Boston, which I visited for the first time last month.  It's a very historical place, but I didn't really know what to expect.  After my visit, I've determined it's a place I need to go back to.

I was there with a group of fellow physical therapy interns for a PT conference.  The night we flew in, it started to snow, and many of the airports on the eastern seaboard were shut down, so it was lucky we got in when we did.  One of our group didn't make it to the conference as a result of the airport closures.

All-in-all, the conference was a conference, so there's nothing of interest to report here.  I did manage to get out and take several pictures of the city, which I think turned out nicely.  The one above is a 9 shot panorama.  I really want to see it printed full size because the detail is fantastic.

The most eventful part of the trip for me happened on my flight home.  It started out as any normal flight, but the girl across the aisle from me started having seizures.  I'd not experienced an in-flight emergency before, and especially not one up-close-and-personal like that.

A flight attendant and I kept her from hurting herself, and the seizures abated within 2 or 3 minutes.  They called for a doctor, but there wasn't one on board.  A pediatric nurse came back to offer her assistance, and she monitored the girl's vital signs.  I didn't volunteer my status as a PT intern, since there's not a whole lot I could have done, aside from monitoring the girl's neurological status, which I did at a distance anyway.

She came back around quickly, and appeared to have regained normal function, which is unusual to happen so quickly.  She was 20 years old, and hadn't had seizures before.  She started vomitting shortly after coming back around, and that lasted until we made an emergency landing in Albuquerque.  My guess is the seizures were induced by food poisoning. 

Anyway, we landed in Albuquerque, left her and her sister there for some medical care, and continued on our merry way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home