Friday, February 10, 2006

Desert Sunset - Joshua Tree National Park (Fall 2005)


Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
(As we speak, jealous Time flees. Pluck the day, believing as little as possible in the next. - Horace)

I think comfortability can stifle, among other things, inspiration and the drive for accomplishment. I've been relatively comfortable with life recently, aside from the seemingly neverending exams I've endured over the past two weeks. As a result, I don't think my mind has been pushed to discover new thoughts as much as in former days. I suppose inspiration comes and goes, but it's rare for me to be without it in at least one form or another. Perhaps I can rediscover my inspiration today.

I think the drive for comfortability can stifle, among other things, happiness. This is essentially why Americans (and most people in developed countries) are unhappy. It seemingly goes against logic that to want or even achieve comfort would cause a person to become unhappy. But, when all one's efforts are focused on achieving or maintaining comfort, that person ends up living in the future rather than in the present. It could be said that living in the future is better than living in the past, and I may agree with that, but always living in the future inevitably leads to dissatisfaction with one's present. People who live for the day have no time to be dissatisfied.

That's not to say one shouldn't plan for tomorrow, but if the planning is done without seizing today, then I'm afraid today gets lost to yesterday. So there you have it. Carpe your diem. Inspiration reclamation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ijsbreker said...

and don't forget what Brendan Francis said: "inspirations never go in for long engagements; they demand immediate marriage to action".

Saturday, February 11, 2006  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

That's so true, and why sometimes I have to get up in the middle of the night and write things down. Immediate marriage to action.

Saturday, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home