Sunday, February 26, 2006

Marsh Reflection - Czech Countryside (Spring 2002)


Today I was riding with a friend to a coffeeshop to do some studying of orthopedics, when traffic was halted due to two firetrucks and an ambulance speeding by, sirens blaring, in response to a call. I glanced quickly at the driver of the ambulance who I expected to be hunched over the wheel in some sort of posture that would indicate the urgency of the situation. Instead of seeing this, I saw a rather relaxed-looking woman slouching back in her seat and licking an ice cream cone while propelling this missile down the street. My friend and I exchanged puzzled looks with each other, as something about that scene simply didn't seem right. I suppose when one is in the business of saving lives, it becomes as informal as picking up one's kids from soccer practice.

3 Comments:

Blogger ramblingmuse said...

Whoa - that's weird! I'm surprised she wasn't also putting on her make up!

Sunday, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a peculiar story that somewhat ties to yours. Yesterday I was cycling with a certain someone and while returning to our starting locale we came upon a fire in the forest beside the road. We asked ourselves, "Hmmm... Should we put that out?" We decided rather than allowing the whole forest to burn we would put it out while it was still small. So we dismounted our bikes and proceeded to stomp out the fire. As it grew larger, I decided the stomping was not sufficient, so I asked my companion to empty my backpack that I had been wearing and bring it to me. I then began to beat the fire out with said backpack. This method eventually led to success. With the fire out, we began hearing sirens and thought, "Well, someone must have called the fire department." So we waited a minute until a fire"car" sped past us and the burned area. We thought it odd that they did not stop and decided to begin biking again. Approximately half a mile down the road we came upon two more "forest" fires. There were firefighters working on putting out one of these fires, so my fellow biker and I began to work on the other. The firemen finished with the first and then came and took over where we were. So then we began biking again and soon came upon another much larger fire with more firemen working to put it out. They appeared to be gaining control over it, so we went on our merry way. Indeed, when I passed the area on my way home that night the blazes were vanquished. It made for an interesting bike ride.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEHEHE! I am the friend - that was the oddest thing I have ever seen. Nothing about it was right. All wrong, it was all wrong! Thank you men above for putting out fires, we need more helpful citizens like you, and apparently more backpacks!

Saturday, March 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home