Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bridge over the River Danube - Budapest (Early Spring 2003)


"Never get so attached to a poem you forget truth that lacks lyricism. Never draw so close to the heat that you forget that you must eat." - Joanna Newsom

These are lines from the song "En Gallop." The first time I heard this song I picked out these lines and readily recognized their depth, although it took me a little while to fully comprehend their meaning. Maybe you're quicker than I am, but in case you're not, essentially she's saying not to focus on one form of beauty (lyricism) so much that you disregard the important lessons that can be found in other forms (prose). Don't focus on fulfilling one basic need (warmth) so much that you completely ignore another (food).

Don't allow one thing in your life to overshadow everything else. Life is a multifaceted entity, all aspects of which should be enjoyed or at least given fair attention. It's a balance thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger batool said...

and yet, it is often finding this balance that is the real challenge in life.
Searched for the Lyrics of En Gallop and i agree, the words require deeper indulgence.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

"En Gallop"

This place is damp and ghostly
I am already gone.
And the halls were lined with the disembodied
and dustly wings, which fell from flesh
gasplessly.

And I go where the trees go,
and I walk from a higher education
(for now, for hire)

And it beats me, but I do not know.

Palaces and stormclouds
the rough, straggly sage, and the smoke
and the way it will all come together
(in quietness, in time)

And you laws of property
you free economy
you unending afterthoughts,
you could've told me before -

Never get so attached to a poem
you forget truth that lacks lyricism;
never draw so close to the heat
that you forget that you must eat.

Thursday, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home